Every year Madras School of Social Work, Chennai is organizing five days refresher course for N.S.S Program Officers with two years of experience after undergoing general orientation course. During the academic year 2004-2005, the course was conducted from 30-08-2004 to 03-09-2004. Totally, 34 N.S.S Program Officers from various colleges and polytechniques participated in this course.
Each day there were four sessions. First session: 10-11.30 AM, Second session: 11.45 AM – 1.00 PM, Third session: 2.00-3.15 PM and fourth session 3.30-4.45 PM.
The course was started on 30-08-2004, Monday at 9.30 AM with registration and inaugral function. After the inaugral function the course coordinator Dr.J. Visuvadhas Jeya Singh, N.S.S – TORC, introduced the resource persons and explained the objective of the course and collective expectations of participants.
In the second session, Mr. A. Mohan Doss, Lecturer, N.S.S – TORC conducted group discussion on N.S.S regular activities and the following activities were discussed:
|Tree plantation||Small savings scheme|
|Campus cleaning||Crowd regulation during festival season|
|Temple cleaning||Conducting night schools|
|Conducting adult education class.||Traffic regulations.|
|Improvement of drainage systems.||Digging of soak pits.|
|Medial health education.||Kitchen garden project.|
|Road construction.||Popularization of solar cookers.|
|Flood relief operation.||Distribution of cloth to poor.|
|Formation of club – NYK.||Conducting surveys.|
|Animal Husbandry project.||Environmental sanitation.|
|Assistance to handicapped.||Celebration of important days.|
|Cultural and recreation activities.||Food for peace.|
|Hospital service.||Education service.|
|Awareness creation.||Waste land development.|
|Formation of mini forest.||Water shed management.|
|June – September||South West Monsoon||308.4mm|
|October – December||North East Monsoon||436.8mm|
|January – February||Winter||41.8mm|
|March – May||Summer||136.1 mm|
Fourth, session was conducted by Dr. G. Vijayaram, Lecturer , N.S.S – TORC on the topic "Youth for water and sanitation programme".
31 – 08 – 04 TUESDAY
- First, session was started by Dr.J.Visuvadhas Jeya singh on the topic “Mobilization Resources”. He explained about the resources available in Tamil Nadu government for the development of village people.
- Mr. A. Mohan Doss gave a lecture on “Sanitation program” in the second session.
- In the Afternoon, third session was on “N.S.S Special Camping Program” by Dr. G. Vijayaram, Lecturer, N.S.S – TORC.
- Mr.M. Sakrapani, Project Officer, TNUDP – II , Chepauk, conducted fourth session on "Tamilnadu Integrated Sanitation Project For Urban Poor".
- Dr. Kulasekaran, Chief Analyst, TWAD Board, Water Analysis Lab, conducted a seminar on “Water Quality Management”. In this seminar he explained about various types of water sources, water based and water related disease like Malaria, Filaria, Dengue fever, Sleeping sickness and Fluke.
- The Second session was on the topic “Total Sanitation program” by Mr. Abdul Razick, Project Officer, DRD. He explained about constructing a toilet for village under the scheme of total sanitation programme.
- Afternoon, the MSSW had arranged an excellent programme – field visit. All Programme Officers had visited Pelamedu village and surveyed the village for implementation of Tamil Nadu water and sanitation programme in this village.
- Mr. Anbalagan Asst. Engineer, a rural water supply engineer and procurement specialist, conducted a seminar on “Sanitation and Technical Options”. He explained the problems faced during implementation of total sanitation programme in the adopted village.
- Mr.Palanisamy, Programme Executive, All India Radio, Chennai, gave a useful lecture on "Health Hazards and Mass Media" in the second session.
- In the Afternoon, 3rd session, Mr.Rojamani, Sate Youth Coordinator, gave a speech on Financial Management. In his speech, he explained about the registers to be maintained by the Programme Officers and how they can be utilized for NSS corpus fund.
- In the last session, the Programme Officers presented their report on previous day field visit.
- Dr.V.Venkata Ramanujam, NSS Programme Coordinator, TNVAS University, conducted a very useful seminar on “Domestic Animals and Cleanliness”.
- The five-day refresher course came to end with valedictory function at 2.30 P.M. In this function, Karu.Nagarajan, NSS State Liaison Officer, presided and distributed the course certificates to the Programme Officers.
Energy conservation week were celebrated in our tamilnadu electricity board from 14.12.14 to 20.12.14.In this regard the NSS students of Mahendra Engineering College (Autonomous) participated the rally programme with TNEB Staffs, other college students and public on 20.12.14 held at tiruchengode.This programme was mainly used to make awareness about the power consumption among the people.